Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:
Things are still massively green around here! Excuse me for being thrilled about this but I live in South Texas and sometimes? It is not green. Sometimes? We break 100 degrees for multiple days in a row. Sometimes? It is so brown and crunchy that everyone is on edge about grass fires and our cows start looking all bony and our pond dries up and my yard disappears and the garden shrivels and the kids are stuck in the house all day whining and complaining and you get the idea. This year? We have yet to get over 95. 94 is still pretty freaking hot, don't get me wrong. And the 100's are coming, believe me. But it won't be for as LONG as last summer. So yeah, GREEN IS GOOD.

The Bad:
I mentioned that I live in South Texas, right? We have lots of bugs here. Especially after a wet spring, which we had. I hate two specific kinds of bugs with a passion that borders on insanity. I hate katydids (they attack me regularly) and I hate scorpions. Scorpions are everywhere right now. They tend to hang out beneath things and above things. It is not unusual to have them crawling overhead on the ceiling...crawling out of air conditioning vents...ceiling fans....light fixtures. Everyone has a "did I tell you about the time the scorpion fell on me while I was....." story. But, after Saturday, I have The Story to Top All Stories. I was rudely awakened early that morning by a searing sting ON MY CHIN. Yes, folks, a scorpion fell from the ceiling (I'm assuming) and landed on me and then....it apparently proceeded toward what I can only imagine was my gaping mouth. When I felt the sing, I realized immediately what had stung me (even though I've never been stung before) and began doing the logical thing, which was to throw the covers off and jump up on my knees screaming, "Get it off me get it off me get it off me...." Jeff sat up drowsily, rubbed his eyes, yawned, stared at me and then finally said, "Well, where is it?" And I answered "IN MY HAIR!!!" and began shaking my head furiously. Of course, it wasn't in my hair, that is just a minor issue of mine, being convinced there are scorpions or katydids in my hair (there have been katydids in my hair, by the way). Actually, it was on my thigh. Where it stung me again. The stinging wasn't even the worst part. It truly is the gross-out factor. Scorpions are ugly. Since I am massively allergic to bees and wasps, and since my epi-pen was expired, I took several bennies and went back to sleep. I woke up to a numb tongue and tingly lips. That lasted almost 48 hours.

THE UGLY
I just mentioned the scorpion, right?

THE GOOD
There is a rumor, reported to me by Hannah, who likes to look out for me in my old age.....that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are working on a new album. I have been unable to completely substantiate this rumor, however, I have also seen hints of it on the Internet.

THE BAD
Johnny Frusciante is supposedly not playing on the album and he is pretty much the best guitarist ever. Ever.

THE UGLY
No offense to Anthony Kiedis, who has an amazing way of manipulating that awesome voice of his....but there are definitely prettier boys fronting bands out there. Sorry. I feel shallow. Luckily, I usually just listen - don't watch. Except for the time that Jeff took me to see them in concert for our anniversary...which was the best anniversary ever. And Anthony was pretty far away. I was mostly offended by his Lakers t-shirt - which he had the cajones to wear in front of a Spurs crowd. Luckily, Spurs fans do not tend to get massively violent (unlike Lakers fans) so he was briefly booed but that was it. He flipped off the crowd and started singing. So he and the crowd made nice after that and it was an awesome show. THE BEST. Actually.

THE GOOD
Have you noticed that it has been awhile since my last blog entry? That is because I am cheating on you and writing Other Stuff. This makes me happy.

THE BAD
Have you noticed that it has been awhile since my last blog entry? That is because I am cheating on you and writing Other Stuff. This makes me feel disconnected, distracted, disoriented, and out of control. It also makes my little people edgy and irritable and needy. It makes the medium to bigger-sized people do things like think I'm not aware of them (I'm not) and then they disappear into their rooms playing videogames or facebooking and not doing Basically Anything Else They Need To Be Doing.

THE UGLY
This results in piles of laundry, piles of dishes, and empty cupboards.

THE GOOD
*Announcement* I have a 41st Follower. It is Sarah. She is Good in General, but also a good singer/songwriter. If you click on her link and go down her page to her video clips, you can hear My Favorite Song of All Times, recorded right there in her messy bedroom, called For You. You can even buy it. That would also qualify as GOOD. Also - more good stuff - she just graduated from high school. WOOT!

THE BAD
We missed her graduation party 'cause we were driving Ellie from Dallas back to San Marcos. Last weekend we drove Ellie to Houston. This weekend we are going to Houston to pick her up. Lots of carbon belching going on.

THE UGLY
If you could see Jasper right now, you'd get the ugly. He's gnawing on watermelon in a really unattractive fashion, complete with disturbing noises. Also, he's talking with his mouth full. And spitting seeds in my general direction.

This is really all I have time for at the moment. Although there is lots more good, bad, and ugly business going on around here....I just don't have the time to fill you in on all of it. What is good, bad, and ugly in your neck of the woods?

2 comments:

  1. The Good: Yay..another sardinemama blog!

    the Bad: It has been a long time.

    The Ugly: We are not your top priority????

    Great post. Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to run screaming from the computer when I read about the scorpion dropping ON YOUR FACE and stinging you.

    Oh. My. Gawd.

    And you know, SOME bloggers post every single day. Even those (who shall remain nameless) who don't have much to say but talk anyway.

    :)

    ReplyDelete